Monday, December 6, 2010

Women in Science

I think that girls do not think of science as a career options because there are so few role models in this field for young females to aspire to be like. Before our class today I know I would not have been able to tell you the name of a female scientist let alone what they were known for. I think this is all changing though.  We may not be able to give many examples of female scientist today but women are making more and more strides in every field, so I think generations to come will have more role models to look up to, changing the way young females think of science. 

We talked about three things that need to be incorporated into science in order to gain female interest. But these three things would help every student become more interested in science. These things were social interaction, creativity, and a topic that students can relate to. By incorporating these things into all subjects students will get a more rounded education, I don't think that has anything to do with gender.

To help make every student more informed about what career choices are available in the science field I think it is important to make connections to the real world when covering topics.  Showing students the ways that what we learn is applied in everyday life may help generate more interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment