Sunday, September 12, 2010

Science

In class last Wednesday we talked about how science is fueled by our own curiosity about the world. This idea made science seem much more approachable to me. I have always been intimidated by the subject of science. Thinking of science as just learning about something I am curious about seems much more interesting, and way less threatening, then picturing some chemistry formula on a test I probably did horribly on in High School. I know this concept is something that will be useful in future teaching. I want to make sure my students see science as something cool and limitless rather then how I have always seen it.
Another big idea I took from our last class was the difference between science and technology. Before I considered science and technology one in the same. While the two subjects go hand in hand I'm glad the difference was pointed out to me. It actually makes a lot of sense. Science is the knowledge. Technology is the application of that knowledge. This class is helping me to discover what science is, which is such an odd thought considering I have been learning about “science” since I started Kindergarten.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad science seems more approachable. Some things I want to focus on from your post: if we present science as a bunch of formulas we are misrepresenting what science is like; and we shouldn't be using formulas with elementary students anyway! :) Also, be careful to think science is anything. Scientists particularly study nature, but it IS their curiosity that drives them.

    ReplyDelete